Thursday, February 20, 2014

Stigma Around Mental Illness

Generally speaking, I am not easily lured into pissing matches online. Every so often, though, there will be an occasion, and I happened upon one last night. My intent was merely to make a stand. There is a really bad combination to find in people, a triad of characteristics that consist of ignorance (and in many cases, willful ignorance), insensitivity, and outspokenness. It's the perfect storm, the individual is uneducated and unreceptive to learning about a topic, takes that lack of knowledge and frames it in the worst way possible, and then puts it on display because the individual knows nothing other than being belligerent about things. I encountered this type of individual who responded in a very pompous, condescending way to a question regarding therapy, and that is an instant way to get me to see red. I need not go into all the details of the exchange, but it does bring an issue to the forefront for me: mental illness and stigma.

I have psychological issues. I have fluctuations between depression and dysthymia, and have also dealt with anxiety issues and some small obsessive tendencies from time to time. I think it sucks, but it is reality, and I am not ashamed to admit it, nor will I shy away from the fact. I don't have to go advertise it in an attempt for sympathy, because I don't want or need it. Rather, I wish that there were more people willing to put themselves out there, to stand for something that others are reluctant to. The world could use a few very successful, very bold people to step out and say, "I lead a very fulfilling life and overcome mental illness to do it". Perhaps more than that, however society could benefit from having a higher number of lower profile people doing the same. Maybe it requires the former to trigger the latter, but maybe not. Certainly a well respected person doing so could inspire others to take a leap of faith, but there's also the flip side where it could be reasoned that a prominent person can afford to do so because he/she is already in a good position in life. That's where I feel the strength in numbers kicks in. While mental illness is not openly discussed very often, it's managed to break away from some of the stigma of old. Sure, it's not much solace to say "yeah, at least they don't lock us in prisons anymore", but I think in general attitudes have shifted from one of discomfort, fear, or distaste for people with psychological afflictions, or the thought of sharing those afflictions of others, to merely one of avoidance. Many times it is the case where one person will take the plunge and confess to having depression or some other ailment, and once the topic is out there, all of the sudden others are comfortable enough to come out of the woodwork and reveal the same. It sometimes just takes that one person to have the courage to take the lead on it.

For me, I am very quick to point out to others who mention stigma how it is not as prevalent and they insist it is, but it's still far from gone, and the best way for me to help combat it is to stand up rather than stand aside. Stigma cannot be allowed to win out, and it takes resolve to stand in its face. I am fully aware there may be times to turn the other cheek; those times, to me, are when issues are about me. I will take the high road if someone wants to attack me more often than not, but the instant you make sweeping generalization about any sort of group, now I have people to fight for. Doing this isn't for everyone, but I hope that others will take this into consideration. Not contributing to society's preconceptions is good, but fighting against those who perpetuate them is great. Of course, someone could come right back and say, "that is just an articulate way of framing your internet pissing match". The last detail of this story is that I shared some conversation with another person after the fact, someone who also elected to stand up and not tolerate the derisive remarks of an individual hiding behind a monitor. To me, sharing that moment with a stranger who shares a common bond was beautiful. Change happens slowly, but you never know what lovely stranger can come along and help you break stigma, one person at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment